Vehicles and Boats

Interested in donating your vehicle to an organization you believe in? Donate your car and show your support of Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri. It’s easy to make a contribution that makes a difference!

We accept most vehicles including cars, boats, motorcycles and trucks, and turn your gift into hope-filled support for children and families in need.

Most often, your vehicle is sold and the proceeds of the sale are used to support our many programs and services throughout southern Missouri. However, there are times when a certain vehicle may be needed for use in one of our programs, such as hauling construction supplies, or transporting the residents of LifeHouse to medical appointments, classes or work.

Why donate?
By donating your vehicle, you are able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus you avoid the costs associated with selling your car. No need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.

And, most importantly, you help provide much needed services to families and individuals in crisis.

What is the process?
We work to make donating your car as simple, quick and convenient as possible.

  • Just call our office at (417) 720-4213 or send an email to
  • You must have your vehicle’s certificate of ownership (the Title), and the car must be free of any liens.
  • We arrange for the pickup or delivery of the donated vehicle, transfer of title, and all paperwork.

Tax Questions

Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?

Yes. An IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500 and you have provided us with your social security number. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution. If the vehicle does not exceed $500, the thank you letter that you will receive can be used as a tax receipt.

What can I claim as a deduction?
According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the gross proceeds from the sale of your donated vehicle is $500 or more, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale. This amount is what you actually claim on the itemized tax return.

In general, if CCSOMO retains the vehicle for its own use, the taxpayer may deduct the fair market value of the donated vehicle.

Please see your tax advisor for detailed information about your particular situation.