Local charity asks for Crock-Pot donations, fire officials say it’s safe

i Feb 7th No Comments by

Local charity asks for Crock-Pot donations, fire officials say it’s safe

 

GREENE COUNTY, Mo. (KY3/KSPR) – Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri is asking people to donate crock-pots for homeless veterans they help find housing.

Most slow-cooker dishes can provide several meals for a single person or family. The Chief Development Officer with the organization described the kitchen appliance as a triple threat. “This really is an opportunity for us to help these families be able to provide good, wholesome meals for not only themselves but also for the rest of their family,” said Mandy Long. She also mentioned how slow-cooker recipes can be very cost effective. On top of that, Long said it also allows for more family time. “They’re able to spend that additional quality time with their children.”

Long says the charity is looking for new, not used, crock-pots or slow-cookers. She expressed how they want to supply these veterans with a lasting appliance that is also safe. “Crock-pots, in our experience and even in my personal experience, are a very safe way for families to cook,” Long said. “That’s why we want new ones though, because we do want to make sure that they are safe.”

The request for donations comes on the heels of the “This Is Us” television show controversy over the kitchen appliance. Many fans of the popular show spun into a panic when a character died after a house fire was started by a crock-pot with a faulty switch.

After the episode aired, the crock-pot company released a statement, ensuring it’s customers that the device was safe. The creator of the “This Is Us” series, Dan Fogelman, also tweeted out a comment in late January. It reads, “Taking a moment to remind everyone that it was a 20 year old fictional crock-pot with an already funky switch? Let’s not just lump all those lovely hardworking crock-pots together. #ThisIsUs.”

This is why local fire officials were asked to give their expert opinion.

“Kitchen fires are the leading cause of fire death in structure fires, however crock-pots or similar items only account for 150 fires a year,” said Nixa’s Assistant Fire Chief, Whitney Weaver, of the trends across the nation. “I can’t find any history of an actual crock-pot in the Nixa area that’s been the cause of a fire.”

Weaver explained electrical fires in the kitchen aren’t usually because of the product alone. “Most of those are because of faulty switches or bad cords or those type of things,” he said. Weaver encouraged anyone who could be questioning an older version of an appliance to just get rid of it and buy a new one. He said the risk is not worth it.

We also asked Weaver about the work Catholic Charities is doing and whether or not it’s safe? “I think it’s a great thing, we use crock-pots everyday here at the fire station,” he answered.

People interested in donating to Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri can do so at any of their locations. The addresses are listed below:

Springfield
424 E. Monastery St.
Springfield, MO 65807

Springfield
1055 S. Campbell St.
Springfield, MO 65807

Cape Girardeau
937 Broadway, Ste. 304
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

Cape Girardeau
1812 Carondalet Suite 106
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

Joplin
403 East 4th Street,
Joplin, MO 64801

Joplin
113 East 9th Street,
Joplin, MO 64801

Sikeston
205 W. Malone, Ste. B
P.O. Box 662
Sikeston, MO 63801

Van Buren
511 Main St.
P.O. Box 681
Van Buren, MO 63965

Read the original version of this article at www.kspr.com.

Comments